RE: Peppered Moths and Evolution

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:16:15 -0800

At 09:25 AM 11/11/98 -0700, Kevin wrote:
>Thanks for the reprint, Art. It's definitely a keeper.
>
>So the upshot is, peppered moths still demonstrate natural selection, but
what caused that particular evolutionary hick-up is not as simple as first
assumed.

>Frankly, I don't see the problem. It's still evolution, it's still
natural selection, we just don't understand the specific cause. The
example will need to be modified in textbooks, certainly, but eliminating
it would be extreme.

Let's put it this way. What would have been your reaction had this been
YEC's who were having to backpedal on a key piece of data? Would you have
been so cavalier in your dismissal of it as insigicant? This is the major
example in every biology textbook of how evolution works. If it is not
correct, that ought to be cause for something besides a stifled yawn....
Art
http://biology.swau.edu