Re: Lack of Apologetical predictions

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 06:03:59 -0600

At 11:03 PM 11/9/98 -0700, Kevin O'Brien wrote:
>Greetings Glenn:
>
>"By traditional I don't mean not-popular, I mean traditional. I don't
>beleive that the Church fathers were quite so accepting of other religions
>as Kevin is. In that sense, it is not traditional. Am I wrong?"
>
>Well, St. Augustine once said that pagans can in fact have important truths
>to teach Christians, if they will listen. A number of other church fathers
>felt the same way, though admittedly some did not.

Nobody is arguing against that. There is a lot to learn from other
religions and from other cultures. However, if the traditional church
fathers were so open to other religions, why were they so intolerant of
those who deviated a bit from their own theology? While I am not
advocating that type of intolerance, it does illustrate that the
traditional view was not open to the idea that other religions might be
equal with Christianity in truth.

And, I would share that belief with the tradition of the church. All
religions may be wrong. Someone is most assuredly wrong. And someone may be
correct. But all cannot be correct because of the numerous contradictions
between the religions.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood