RE: Haeckel and N-rays: Fraud or self-deception ?

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 14:07:05 -0800

Kevin O'Brien wrote:

> The take home lesson with regards to Haeckel and his drawings is
> that it demonstrates that Haeckel could have been inaccurate, yet
> his drawings still correctly portray the basic elements of his
> biogenetic law and recapitulation.

Cliff: I don't see how anyone can study Haeckel and not think he was
a genius and a class act. Evolution was a powerful new concept
and he got carried away and saw details that he thought must be
there but weren't. Big deal.

If that is the case then indeed Big Deal. Accusations of fraud merely based upon an overly zealous Haeckel sound a bit over-reacting. We have to carefully distinguish between error and fraud imo.