RE: question for the geologists

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:41:32 -0700

"Earth makes clay all the time. The mineals of cla are crystals that grow from water solutions derived from weathering of hard rocks."

From: Seven clues to the origin of life, A.C. Cairns-Smith

This book also discusses how clay might have played a role in the origin of life.

John E. Rylander wrote:

> Dawkins talked about replicating crystals and clays, more recently there's
> been talk of replicating systems on surfaces near underwater thermal vents
> (see http://www.budget.net/~jangles/volcano.htm, e.g.).

I've read vague references to clay as a beginning of life. But my own
observation is that clays seem to be a product of life. In a section of
the earth I see vegetation above dead compacted vegetation above soil
above compacted lifeless soil above gray clayish soil above clay. Is it
acknowledged that clay has an organic origin?

-- Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noevalley.com