RE: Earth Rotation and the Flood

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 09 Oct 1998 17:17:24 -0500

At 08:47 AM 10/9/98 -0600, Kevin L. O'Brien wrote:
>Greetings Art:
>
>No, I am neither a geologist nor a botanist, I would be the first to say
that my conclusions should be taken with a very great grain of salt. I
would bow to Glenn's considerably greater expertise in this matter.

>However, you gave us the URL so that we could look at this fossil
ourselves and draw our own conclusions. I did exactly that and I'm afraid
that I don't see what you imply is obvious. It could be that it's because
it's a poor fossil, as Glenn seems to suggest. It could also be because
it's not a true fossil at all, just an interpretation based on wishfull
thinking. Even experts can be fooled -- have in fact been fooled -- if
they believe something strongly enough.

I want to clear up what seems to be a misunderstanding. The fossil is
good*. It is the cyclicity that the photo doesn't show very well. But I
would say that Art's expertise in such matters probably exceeds mine. We
may not agree on the interpretation of the fossil, but Art knows very well
what he is doing and I have a lot of respect for Art's considerable
abilities.

*Sometimes one must know what to look for before they can see it. Once on a
recruiting trip to VPI I was shown a super-secret trilobite site. I spent
all morning alone on the outcrop, collected 4 ticks, multitudinous cuts
from a thorn bush, tripped and banged my head on the rocks below, but never
saw a trilobite. I was looking for fossils that had a different color than
the tan matrix of the rock. What I should have been looking for was bas
relief bumps. Thus not knowing what to look for meant I didn't collect a
trilobite. The professor, bemusedly, gave me a couple of consolation
fossils from his collection. I still have these 'prizes' from my great
expedition to the Appalachians. :-)

>If you wish to convince a non-expert such as myself that you have evidence
that some theory is incorrect, you need to present evidence that is obvious
even to that expert. This rock does not qualify and in fact only
reinforces my feeling you have made a mistake.

There is a very good fossil on that rock, Art isn't wrong about that.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood