Re: Coconino sandstone

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:23:06 -0700

At 06:14 PM 9/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Art-
>
>Your name recently came up, along with Elaine Kennedy, in a long
>discussion on the Grand Canyon. I have seen the abstracts of the work
>you and Elaine have done on the Tapeats sandstone, but I'm wondering
>what your opinion is on the Coconino sandstone. Is it your position that
>the Coconino is a subaqeous formation, and if so on what basis? Thanks.

Leonard Brand has published a series of papers on the Coconino SS. In
these papers, he establishes pretty definitively that the Coconino has to
be water deposited based entirely on the vertebrate trackways there. I can
get some references for you, and they are in the bibliography of his book.
Art
http://biology.swau.edu