RE: ocean salt

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:33:37 -0700

----------
From: Karen G. Jensen[SMTP:kjensen@calweb.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 1998 7:37 PM
To: Kevin L. O'Brien
Cc: evolution@calvin.edu
Subject: RE: ocean salt

Kevin O'Brien wrote Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:53:27 -0600

>salt does not precipitate, it crystallizes. What this means is that even
>if a supersaturated solution could exist long enough to produce
>crystallized salt, only the amount necessary to bring the solution to
>saturation levels would crystallize out. The rest of the salt would remain
>in solution

Karen: <<That is in interesting problem. According to calculations I have seen, the
present influx of Na+ from rivers into the ocean would provide the amount
of Na+ observed in the oceans in about 50 million years (less time if the
rate of influx was ever faster, or if there were sources besides the
rivers, or if the oceans started off with some Na+ already). If there is
no way it could ever crystalize when the whole is not at saturation levels,
maybe the oceans have not been receiving salt for very long.>>

50 million years is still quite a long time. But Glenn has shown how these calculations did not take into account all the relevant processes. When looking in more detail, the numbers appear to 'add up'. The 'salt in the ocean' argument, already not a good evidence for a young earth, now points to an even older earth than 50 million years.