Re: diatoms and the global flood

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:12:31 -0500

At 11:00 AM 9/27/98 -0600, Karen G. Jensen wrote:

>Fri, 25 Sep 1998 20:14:59 -0500 Glenn Morton wrote:
>
>>[snip -- see below].
>>
>>I will accept that as a global flood possibility. But then the problem
>>comes that most freshwater creatures can't handle the salt in the ocean and
>>die. One must almost believe in evolution to have this occur.
>>glenn
>

>I accept adaptation as clearly demonstrated. It could be that the preflood
>oceans were less salty than today's seas (perhaps isotonic?) and only those
>diatoms which could survive salty water lived to multiply and diversify
>there.

But Karen, we are not talking about preflood waters we are talking about
FLOOD waters. Remember that during the flood, the chemical mix of the
ocean waters would have been saltier. How do I know this? According to
the scenario that the global flood advocates propose, the entire geologic
column was laid down in one year. That means that every bit of salt in the
sedimentary rocks would be dissolved in the oceans prior to the deposition
of the first and lowest flood layer, the Cambrian. There are huge salt
deposits found in the middle of the sedimentary column and this MUST
represent the removal of salt from the flood waters, which means that prior
to their removal the oceans were saltier. Huge salt deposts are found in
Kansas, Texas, Northern Europe (Rotliegendes), throughout the Himalayas,
along the east coast of the United States and Canada (the Argo Salt) and
many many other places. There are also other salts (other than NaCl) which
would dissolved in the flood waters. So, if you are going to choose
adapatation, you must have instantaneous adaptability from the preflood,
supposedly freshwater diatoms. They must have been able to immediately
live in waters much saltier than the present oceans, AND handle strongly
acidic, mercury-laden waters. You are actually suggesting a miracle.

See my web page http://www.isource.net/~grmorton/acid.htm
and mercury.htm

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology