Re: 'Directed' evolution?

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:46:49 -0700

At 12:05 AM 9/22/98 -0400, Howard wrote:

>The extrapolation from Denton's limited criticism of Darwinism to broadside
>attacks against the whole concept of biological evolution (by whatever
>means) is something that has been done TO Denton by those who have a very
>different agenda. I suspect Denton was innocently unaware of how his
>criticisms would be employed by the episodic creationist crowd. He made a
>number of very specific disclaimers in the second book that should prevent
>that exploitation of his anti-Darwinian judgments.

There seems to be a lot of concern to protect Denton from any appearance of
defaming evolution in this listserve. However, what has been lacking is
any suggestion that we should reexamine the premises of evolution itself.
Like the famous frog in the pot of water on the stove, the heating up of
the scientific evidences against any form of evolution involving the
acquisition of new information has been so gradual that the frog is still
enjoying the warmth, not having any appreciation for what the future holds
for him! I would like to see some consideration given to the arguments
that Spetner raises regarding the acquisition of new information in
biological systems. His book can be obtained from Amazon for $15, and is
well worth reading.
Art
http://biology.swau.edu