RE: Theta vs. Phi

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:57:07 +0800

Pim

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:14:30 -0700, Pim van Meurs wrote:

>>SJ>My Bible footnotes say that either the dimensions given were an
>>>approximation, or that the measurements were not taken taken from
>>>the same positions on the rim:

>PM>The foresight of those who wrote the bible originally to add
>>footnotes is incredible.

>SJ>Argument from personal incredility Pim?>>

PM>Not at all.

Your actual words were "is incredible" which if a creationist used it, on
your track record, you would immediately claim it was an "Argument from
personal incredility". You appear to have a double standard-one
for yourself and another for creationists.

PM>I am merely pointing out how fortuitous it was that the writers of the
>bible added the footnotes to explain the story.

I thought this was a joke, but it appears you are being serious! I did not
claim that "the writers of the bible added the footnotes to explain the
story." The reference I gave for the "footnotes" was "Barker K., ed, "The
NIV Study Bible," 1985, p483".

>PM>It is good to see how one has to speculate a lot about this
>unfortunate pi=3 measurement.

>SJ>here was *no* speculation about it AFAIK by Bible believers, until
>sceptics raised it as an alleged problem.>>

PM><g> Ain't life a ...

It was *your* point, not mine.

>SJ>And there is *no* "pi=3 measurement".>>

PM>Unless you take the bible literal.

There is not even one then. The Bible says *nothing* about "pi" at all.

>PM>Perhaps we are wrong about other 'measurements' as well ? Perhaps
>>a 'day is not 24 hrs' for instance?

>SJ>Nowhere does the Bible even say that the days of Genesis 1 are "24
>hrs". This is just a human interpretation.>>

PM>Indeed.

Another agreement! I don't think I can ake *two* agreements in *one*
night! :-)

>PM>Heck all it takes are some 'footnotes' which I believe were not in the
>original documents ?

SJ>SJ>Of course the "footnotes" "were not in the original documents"!
>Surely Pim you can't be be serious in thinking they were?>>>

PM>Nope, they are as you said "possible fallacious
>interpretations/speculations of events in the bible"

Where did I say the words you have in quotation marks?

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ senojes@hotmail.com
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)