Re: Petersen's New Insights, reply to S.H. Schimmrich

Susan Brassfield (susanb55@yahoo.com)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:08:50 -0700 (PDT)

---Joseph Mastropaolo wrote:

>The basic assumption of evolution is spontaneous generation.

that is not correct, as has been pointed out to you.

>ãSpontaneous generation, in biology, is the theory, now disproved, that
>living organisms sometimes arise from nonliving matter. It is
sometimes
>referred to as abiogenesis, as opposed to biogenesis, the now
>established fact living organisms arise only from the reproduction of
>previously existing organisms.ä
>
>Please send me a "Yes" or a "No" to the statement:
>
>I subscribe to abiogenesis (spontaneous generation).

yes (no)

spontaneous generation (as has been pointed out to you) is *modern*
organisms popping into existence out of nothing.

abiogenesis is about ANCIENT rudimentary organisms organizing
themselves from available chemicals and organic molecules.

A protien chain is not a mouse.

>Thank you for your help with this survey.

you are welcome

>In experiments, if the chances of A causing B are less than 20 to 1,
>then A is not considered the cause.(Reference: P< .05 for statistically
>testing the null hypothesis.)
>
>Please send me a "Yes" or a "No" to the statement:
>
>I subscribe to the P< .05 standard for causation in experiments.

you are driving down the road. You stop at a light and you notice that
the car in front of you has a vanity plate that reads "Thoreau." There
are 5 million automobiles in the city where you live. Therefore the
odds are at least 5 million to 1 that you would have seen such a
license plate. The odds increase if the car is red. The odds increase
into a vanishingly small possibility because you saw the plate at
exactly 11:23 a.m. 8-9-98.

So you so you didn't see it, of course, because the odds are just way
too high. The odds, though, are identical for *every* license plate
you see on *every* car ahead of you at *every* stop light.

So you don't ever see a license plate on a car ahead of you at a
stopsign, because the odds are just too high.

>Thank you for your help with this survey.

you are welcome

Susan

==

---http://www.telepath.com/susanb