Re: A Poll On Abiogenesis (Spontaneous Generation)

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 22:19:59 -0500

At 04:55 PM 9/5/98 -0700, Cliff Lundberg wrote:
>Joseph Mastropaolo wrote:
>
>> The basic assumption of evolution is spontaneous generation.
>
>An evolutionist must ultimately believe in abiogenesis.
>But 'spontaneous generation' does not customarily refer to the
>theory of evolution, but rather to the belief that, for example,
>flies spontaneously arise from dung (Aristotle) or mice and
>beetles spontaneously arise in granaries etc; this was an
>explanation of familiar phenomena, not of ultimate origins.

This is not true. I am an evolutinist and I am NOT sure whether God
programmed the universe in such a manner that abiogenesis would occur, or
whether God miraculously created the first life and then let evolution
occur. Since the abiogenesis advocates have not proven it is feasible yet,
I don't feel compelled to believe in abiogenesis. God may have used either
approach.

Now if you restrict the above statement to atheists, then you might have a
case.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood