Petersen's book--a review

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:16:23 -0500

Hi Joseph,

John Rylander often chides me privately for my bluntness. After this note
he will have another opportunity to chide me. I have finished the book,
and find it to be ... you really don't want my opinion and I don't want to
dignify a book which makes the claims this one does, but apparently some
may have some interest, so here is my opinion.

At 11:14 AM 8/29/98 -0700, Joseph Mastropaolo wrote:
>Glenn,
>
> You wrote:
>>... please list the articles and books you have
>>read concerning the formation of loess...
>
> Perhaps, I misunderstood the purpose of this discussion group. I
>thought it was to examine evidence and the fidelity of conclusions
>compelled by the evidence. Your answer suggests that you intend
>neither; rather you wish to enthrone authority and subjugation to it.
>If that is your intention, I leave it in your hands.
>
> I repeat, I am anxious to hear from anyone who has read Petersen's
>evidence.

If you haven't read anything in opposition to Petersen then you are really
unprepared to say that Petersen's evidence is 'unasailable'. If you
haven't read the original explanations, you have no idea what data
Petersen's views would be 'assailed' with and you could not possibly make
the claim you do. You said you were an emeritus professor. Would you let
some student get away with a similar claim about something in your field IF
that student had not read the current theories? I doubt it. What was your
field and where did you teach?

There are several facts about loess that Petersen either ignores or treats
poorly. He claims (p. 132) that grains making up loess are uniform in size.
They aren't. He then quotes Berg (an old 1932 source) as saying that loess
particles ranges only from .01 - .05 mm in diameter (p. 139) While Petersen
has Flint's 1971 Glacial and Quaternary Geology in his bibliography,
Peterson fails to inform the reader of data in that book. Flint (p. 251)
shows a chart in which the particles ranging from .002-.3 mm in
diameter--this is 2 orders of magnitude in size, hardly supporting the
claim that the particles are 'uniform'. Why wouldn't Petersen acknowledge
Flint's data? Is it because it doesn't support his theory?

For your information, loess is believed to be the dust blown off of either
glacial outwash or from desert sands. Loess is thickest nearest major
rivers which carried outwash from the continental glaciers and it thins
rapidly down wind. There is more than 7 m of loess next to the Mississippi
River and it thins within 60 miles to less than half a meter. (see Flint,