Re: problem

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noevalley.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:22:58 -0700

Pim van Meurs wrote:

> What interest do you have with the Cambrian Explosion ?
> From what I understand, this is indeed a remarkable era
> and has received significant scientific study. So what
> would you like to discuss about the Cambrian Explosion
> that you feel has not received just examination ?

The sudden appearance of so many complex organisms conflicts
pretty severely with gradualism. I wondered why many critics
of evolution dwell on some controversial particular while the
biggest puzzle is scarcely mentioned.

I am an evolutionist who accepts the evidence at face value,
meaning I believe there was a very rapid formative process that
created the major types of organisms, a process that apparently
has not operated since the Cambrian. As to the nature of this
process, I suppose it involved mutations and hybridizations we
might call bizarre.

-- Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noevalley.com