RE: Theta vs. Phi

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:23:00 -0700

Of course one can always find a better approximation for PI. I found a website which shows that using the numerology of some words, one can find a number which is in its first 5-6 decimals equal to Pi. So you see, if you search long enough, you can find any 'miracle' in the bible. Sadly enough there is nothing mysterious or unique about it. Interesting perhaps....

----------
From: Brendan Frost[SMTP:Brendan_Frost@cch.com]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 1998 7:14 AM
To: cliff@noevalley.com
Cc: evolution@calvin.edu
Subject: Theta vs. Phi

>It's not even about pi,
>it's about theta, the golden proportion.

I have always understood the golden proportion,
defined as the (square root of 5 plus 1)/2, or
1.618033....... is called "phi", not "theta."

What is "theta"?

Now I'll have to see the movie...

P.S. for Bible infallibilistes---where does the Bible
give its notoriously incorrect definition of pi as 3?
An orders-of-magnitude worse estimate than the
Bablyonian value of 1,000 yrs previous....

Brendan Frost