Re: Bill's flood and acidic waters

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 02 Aug 1998 13:29:58 -0500

Hi Bill,

At 11:42 PM 8/1/98 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:

>If God could create a *universe* so finely tuned as to be described as
>being balanced on a knife edge, then He could also, I think, manage to
>balance the CO2 and sulfuric acid and the zillions of other problems you
>see (and I admit) either naturalistically or miracously. But to say
>that His Word consists partially of mythology because you can't see the
>solution to the problems is to say that you know more about how the
>universe operates than the one who created it and you does.

Wait a minute Bill. You certainly can't ascribe those views to me.
Nowhere have I ever said that the Bible was partly mythology. In fact I
get into discussions all the time arguing precisely against the view of
mythologizing Genesis. While I agree that God could do what he wants, if
you 'scientific creationists' are going to claim that you have data to back
you up, well, that simply isn't true. And if it is a miracle, you can't
claim that it is scientific because miracles are not science.

>Recently a reference was made to water seeking its own level, and this
>presenting a problem for the flood which, according to the Bible,
>covered the tops of all the mountains (around the whole earth, IMO).
>The Bible says water doesn't always seek its own level: "The waters
>were divided, and the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground,
>with a wall of water on their right and on their left." (Exodus 14:22)
>
>Now, tell us, Glenn my friend, do you believe there was "a *wall* of
>water on their right and on their left", or do you believe this is
>another example of Bibical mythology?

I firmly believe that the wall of water was in actual existence. But it
was a miracle. It actually happened, but I can't prove it because miracles
leave no evidence of themselves. And I wouldn't form the Institute for
Walled Water Research either in an attempt to explain how walled water
could stand up.

So, you are very, very wrong when you try to imply that I am mythologizing
the Bible.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood