Re:An Evil Fruit

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 06:40:33 -0500

Hi Vernon,

At 06:45 AM 7/31/98 +0100, Vernon Jenkins wrote:
>Glenn,
>
>Thank you for putting me right on fossilization. However, regarding the
>rest I would offer the following:

My pleasure. I just wish the apologists would do a better job of
researching and then educating the laity rather than merely repeating
mantras like, fossilization requires rapid burial.

>1) We both agree that man, in general, is a thoroughly bad lot and an
>enemy of God. No doubt you would join me in quoting Ps.2 and Jer.17:9 as
>evidences of that. I suggest, therefore, that for the atheist, evolution
>is simply an excuse for believing there is no God; and that for a person
>like yourself, a reason for regarding Him as something less than
>Omnipotent.

I absolutely do agree that man is sinful. While the atheist might use
evolution as an excuse, the Christian can use the excuse that the other
people are more sinful than them. Habakkuk thought that God couldn't or
wouldn't use the more sinful Babylonians to chastise the more righteous
Hebrews. But he was wrong. Habakkuk's attitude is that of the christians
who thinks that other groups deserve what they get because the other group
is less righteous.

>2) It follows that a crucial battle must be fought over the nature of
>the flood and its outcome in respect of our correctly interpreting the
>geological data, as we find it. You have expressed your disillusionment
>with YEC for failing to face up to facts contrary to their beliefs. Now
>I am going to suggest to you that you are failing to meet the demands of
>simple logic. If the flood were 'local', as you so stoutly maintain,
>what was the necessity of building an ark and undertaking the subsequent
>voyage? And where are these watertight mountain ranges (which Noah would
>surely have done better walking to with family and animals in tow - he
>certainly had ample time!!).

If the area flooded were the Mesopotamian basin, I would agree with you.
But with the Mediterranean, where I put the flood, Noah et al would have
had to march 800 km across a desert to escape the flood.

The god Evolution is a hard taskmaster;
>well might Phillip Johnson speak of 'Reason in the Balance'. The
>theistic evolutionist's account of these matters requires the clear
>words of the narrative to be bent, wouldn't you agree?

I would cite a verse Christians don't like and Henry Morris only quotes the
first phrase:

Isaiah 45: 7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and
create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

God claims credit for disasters/evil.

And you have not
>addressed the matter of mankind's probable migration from the Middle
>East during the Antediluvian period.

Yes I have, see my book, Foundation Fall and Flood

How else would you explain the
>various 'flood traditions'?

If the flood were anthroppologically universal (that is killed all but 8
humans), then all the descendants of Noah would have the flood stories
passed down to them. THis is the same explanation you have. What is the
problem?

Atheists, unhampered by the need to pay
>lipservice to the flood narrative can, of course, fight on. But for you,
>and for those who subscribe to your view, I'm afraid the battle is lost;
>the flood was global.

Can you then explain the quantity of CO2 put into the atmosphere via the
volcanism. You earlier claimed that you cared about the observational data
so please explain the data.

>3) Concerning my original posting, it might be useful if we examined the
>'good fruits' of evolution. Are there any?

Yes, their theory fits the facts, those who fight against it are forced to
deny the observational data before their own eyes, which then makes
Christians look like ostriches.

>4) I observe that you have refrained from referring to the potentially
>paradigm-shifting data contained in the 7 Hebrew words of Genesis 1:1.

I don't know what you are talking about. I must have missed something.
Can you explain this again if you have already done it. I apologize for
missing what you said.

>Though very real, it is neither popular among evolutionists nor YEC. In
>view of my words in item 1), I suppose that is to be expected, for how
>many have the courage to face up to a supernaturally-authenticated
>Bible?

I believe that God created the universe. Why do you think I don't. God
designed and brought the entire shebang into existence. WHat I disagree
with you about is that God did it the way you claim.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood