RE: Protein Society Meeting -- Reductionism in Biology

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:35:07 -0500

Terry,

I don't see how your apparently valid points about the need to look at
things in a more broadly biological context undercuts
biology->chemistry->physics reductionism.

Let me say, I find reductionism in this sense to be implausible for other
reasons given current physics (e.g., consciousness, moral agency, the
arbitrariness of promissory materialism as an ontology rather than a
methodology, etc.).

But I think the points you make only support a sort of -pragmatic-
or -methodological- anti-reductionism, not -true-, -ontological- or -causal-
anti-reductionism. That is, AR is, just on your points, an important
methodological tool, but not a deep truth about the world.

It reminds me of Douglas Hofstadter's arguments about the supposed unity of
holism and reductionism in studying mind: his arguments, despite his verbal
finesse, didn't support a unity of -ontological- or -causal- reductionism
and anti-reductionism -- only reductionism was ultimately -true- for
Hofstadter -- but rather a -practical- unity, something like 'we should, or
even need to, methodologically accept holism as well as reductionism so we
can get work done at a higher level'. Wrt the critically important
engineering side of science, this was a very good practical insight; wrt the
philosophical "deep truth" side, it broke no new ground, except perhaps to
muddy things.

But maybe the practical side, v. the philosophical, is what you meant as a
practicing scientist, versus an impractical philosopher like me? :^>

--John