RE: Evolutionary Information 1/2

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 06:24:00 -0500

At 03:13 PM 7/23/98 +1000, Donald Howes wrote:
>And the fossil record doesn't show much change, only on a small scale,
>unless you have some hidden stash of fossils that could convince me, I
>haven't seen much to catch my attention.

Au contraire, the fosssil record shows much change. There are no living
fish species or genera in rocks older than the Jurassic. Here is the data

youngest period # Fish genera # living genera # extinct genera
Recent 3245 3245 0
Pleistocene 422 408 14
Pliocene 416 372 44
Miocene 496 320 176
Oligocene 321 207 114
Eocene 398 157 241
Paleocene 124 53 71
Cretaceous 340 38 302
Jurassic 146 5 141
Triassic 175 0 175
Permian 86 0 86
Pennsylvanian 106 0 106
Mississippian 163 0 163
Devonian 524 0 524
Silurian 57 0 57
Ordovician 5 0 5
Cambrian 1 0 1
Oldest period

There are no living mammalian species prior to the Miocene which is not
very deep into the fossil record.

As one goes back into the past, there are fewer and fewer living species
found as fossils. The data is as follows:
Recent 4631 species
Pleistocene 282
Pliocene 67
Miocene 2
oldest
The two living species found in the Miocene are the carnivore Callorhinus
ursinus and the bat, Rhinolophus ferrum-equinum.
The final implication of the data is that other than these (aggregate 282
species), ALL species found in the fossil record are different from those
living today. The number of extinct species found in the various epochs of
the Tertiary are:
Youngest
Pleistocene 786
Pliocene 1119
Miocene 2988
Oligocene 1282
Eocene 1819
Paleocene 604
oldest

So, the fossil record shows MUCH change. Now we have to explain why all
living life forms on earth were different in the past than they are today.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood