RE: Evolution!!

Pim van Meurs (entheta@eskimo.com)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:29:12 -0700

----------
From: Bill Payne[SMTP:bpayne@voyageronline.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 1998 10:20 PM
To: Pim van Meurs
Cc: evolution@calvin.edu
Subject: Re: Evolution!!

Pim van Meurs wrote:

> I believe a better description would be that the ability to have genetic variability has been built right into the bacteria. Whether there are instances of resistant forms already being present and becoming more prevalent or whether it is new mutations being generated, these are very good examples of what is also known as evolution.

Bill Payne wrote:

I don't understand. I thought "resistant forms already being present
and becoming more prevalent" would be an example of natural selection at
work, not evolution. This is similar to the peppered moth example of
England; nothing changed except the numbers of light/dark moths. This
is evolution?>>

Both examples would be examples of natural selection at work.