Evolution vis a vis Taxonomic Meaning

Brendan Frost (Brendan_Frost@cch.com)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:43:08 -0400

cynic @ net-link.net wrote:

>The word "kind" has
>no meaning in taxonomy.
Creationists, is this true? Or is it simply another synonym for "species",
for which Darwin also used synonyms, e.g. "race"? If I recall my early
Genesis correctly, "kind" is a function of reproduction. What do
theologians
say about the relationship between Biblical "kinds" and scientific
"species"?

Ed's reference to the science of taxonomy is interesting. I have a narrower
version of a question I asked several months ago. Taxonomy strongly implies
relationships, closer and farther, between species, within its heirarchical
ordering. That is, if it doesn't state it outright; I don't know.
Presumably,
evolutionists have attempted to catalog the temporal process of evolution
throughout the entire animal and plant kingdoms. Is temporal evolution
presumed
by its adherents, or demonstrated, to have followed precisely along the
paths of
descent implied by taxonomy? Or are there cases where evolution supposedly
crossed the taxonomic boundaries of genus or even family?

Thanks!

Brendan Frost