Re: Evolution!! (D. Howes)

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:03:47 -0500

At 09:09 PM 7/16/98 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:
>Glenn R. Morton wrote:
>
>> A random sequence has
>> the most information according to information theory.
>
>Does information theory say that maximum entropy equals maximum
>information? Does this mean that if we run a book through a blender
>that we have INCREASED the information content of the book?

Information theory does not measure meaning. You must have missed the
extended discussion of that over the past few weeks. If you scramble the
letters in a book you probably will increase the information content, but
you will destroy the meaning. But meaning is in the eye of the beholder,
and cannot be measured.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood