Re: Hello

Donald Howes (dhowes@ansc.une.edu.au)
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 11:24:40 +1000

Will the real question please stand up?!

I don't think it really matters if you believe evolution was God's tool for
creation, I think the only thing that matters at all in the whole world, is
how are you going to respond to Jesus and his claims.

In terms of evolution though, I think the question is "did it happen on a
macro scale?".

I have doubts about how and why an organism would change from asexual
reprodution to sexual reprodution. And how something would evolve from
laying eggs in water to laying eggs on land, to not laying eggs at all!

And why do bird have pretty colors? This is attractive to other birds, but
it would also make them obvious to preditors. Wouldn't natural selection
have made animals attracted to each other for qualities like camoflage,
strength and speed, not things like a huge stupid peacock tail that slows
you down?

All these things are only secondary of course, and someone probably has
thought of an answer, but I'm not really concerned about how it happened,
the only thing I am concerned about is the fact that every day people are
dying without know about Jesus. I think that stinks.

Donald

At 01:06 PM 4/07/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am completely new to this. I happened to notice that most people in
>this group are either creationists or sceptics about fully naturalistic
>evolution. I would love to know why.
>
>It seems to me that there is no inconsistency whatsoever between theism
>and evolution. G. K. Chesterton said it best when he said that a
>creationist believes that God created mankind, but he doesn't have to
>specify how long it took God to do this, nor exactly which mechanism was
>employed. Am I missing something about the relationship between these
>two theories - that is, theism and evolution - which everyone else has
>grasped?
>
>Cheers
>AW

Donald Howes
Acting Research Systems Co-ordinator
Research Services
University of New England
Ph 6773 3263

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the
salvation of everyone who believes" Romans 1:16