Re: Shooting the messenger (was Unread posting)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 18:46:56 +0800

Group

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:38:09 -0600, John W. Burgeson wrote:

JWB>To LISTSERV participants:
>
>The following arrived in my in-basket:
>
>"Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:20:09 +0800
>From: "Stephen Jones" <sejones@ibm.net>
>Subject: Re: methodological naturalism (hereafter MN) (was Read
>what I said again (was "Stephen:...))"
>
>I had previously informed Mr. Jones that due to his perceived
>lack of civility (to me) that I was disontinuing communications
>with him.
>
>The post was deleted without being read.
>
>I will be happy to discuss the issues with any others on this
>LISTSERV.

To avoid these bandwidth-wasting responses from Burgy, in future I
will address replies to Burgy's postings to the Group, without my
usual courtesy cc.

In fact all my posts are addressed to the Reflector, cc. the individual
whose posts I am responding to. That is, they are to the Group first,
and to the individual second.

For the record, my great `crime against humanity' was the following:

On Fri, 05 Jun 1998 06:45:05 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:

[...]

>JWB>And I have seen no indication the Johnson's TR (Theological
>>Realism) works, at least not in a scientific sense.
>
>See above. You can't even get the name right - it is *Theistic*
>Realism! That does not inspire confidence in your understanding of
>TR.

I will leave others to decide for themselves whether Burgy's response
is over the top.

My conclusion is that Burgy was finding the going tough as a Christian
trying to defend methodological naturalism, and (perhaps unconsciously)
he saw the above as an excuse to bail out.

Shooting the messenger is always easier than dealing with an uncongenial
message!

Steve

"Evolution is the greatest engine of atheism ever invented."
--- Dr. William Provine, Professor of History and Biology, Cornell University.
http://fp.bio.utk.edu/darwin/1998/slides_view/Slide_7.html

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)