Re: Not enough info for your brain (was Re: Dawkins video)

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:45:18 -0400

At 07:52 PM 6/15/98 -0500, Glenn wrote:

[...]

>DT:===
> It is called
>>'In the Beginning was Information'. Gitt is Professor and Director (BTW,
>>Professor in Germany is not like the US definition where every junior
>>lecturer is a professor) at the Federal Institute of Physics and
>>Technology. Also, you could usefully read Spetner's book (the one shown in
>>the video.) It admittedly does not go into the technical details like
>>Gitt's. Spetner, who has looked at all the biological examples usually
>>cited of 'evolution happening', (and declared that in each case the point
>>mutation causes an information loss) studied signal/noise relationships in
>>DNA as a Johns Hopkins fellow, and has published on the subject in the
>>Journal of Theoretical and Mathematical biology.

GM:===
>Why is there no reference with this? No one can check him out if he
>doesn't give references. It always gets me when people make statements that
>can't be verified, like this above.

Using Alta Vista I managed to find an article entitled "Evolution,
Randomness, and Hashkafa" by a Dr. Lee Spetner. it can be found at

http://members.xoom.com/torahscience/evol1.htm

During the search I turned up many files with titles related
to Archaeopteryx which I thought was interesting. Looking
at these I found that an L.M. Spetner was coauthor with Hoyle
and Wickramasinghe in the papers which tried to expose
Archaeopteryx as a hoax:

WATKINS, R.S., F. HOYLE, N.C. WICKRAMASINGHE, J.
WATKINS, R. RABILIZIROV and L. SPETNER. Archaeopteryx -
a photographic study. British Journal of Photography.
1985, 132(8 March), 264-266.

Spetner, L.M.; Hoyle, F.; Wickramasinghe, N.C. &
Magaritz, M. (1988) Archaeopteryx - more evidence for
a forgery. The British Journal of Photography, 135: 14-17.

Anyone know if this Spetner is the same as the info Spetner?

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"It appears to me that this author is asking
much less than what you are refusing to answer"
-- Galileo (as Simplicio in _The Dialogue_)