Re: How whales lost their legs? (was Hello)

Gary Collins (etlgycs@etl.ericsson.se)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:49:17 +0100 (BST)

Hello Mario,
You may also find the following quote to be of some interest...

It is hardly necessary to dwell at length on all the minor arguments advanced
by Darwin. These consist essentially in a translation of certain facts in terms
of evolutionary theory, or, in other words, on an historical basis. If an
organism possesses a structure having no assignable function, but looking like
a reduced specimen of a functional structure existing in some other form, it was
regarded as a 'rudiment' whose existence is explicable only as a relic that has
gradually degenerated in coming down from a remote ancestor, where it was well
developed and functional.
It is clear that this supposition has no demonstrative value. It itself
requires demonstration. Unless one adopts the Darwinian postulate that all
characters have survival value, it is not necessary to assume that they have,
or ever had, definite functions. Some so-called rudiments, such as the
homologies of the mammary glands in man cannot, so far as any plausible
evidence goes, have been inherited from an ancestor in which they were
functional. Others, once believed to be useless, have definite functions. The
existence in whales of transitory teeth and of small bones buried in the flesh,
but corresponding to the pelvis, the femur, and the tibia, is commonly regarded
as proof of their descent from ancestors of the tetrapod type with functional
teeth; but in the first place some anatomists consider that these structures
have an important role in the developmental process; in the second place, we
have no proof of descent from ancestors in which these structures were more
strongly developed; in the third place, it is clear that if they exist now,
this is not primarily because they existed in the past, but because actual
present causes now operate to produce them. What such cases like those of
anatomical 'convergence' and general homology actually demonstrate is that
there are large numbers of organisms, differing considerably in the details
of structure but constructed on the same fundamental plan. However, this is
no proof of descent from one original ancestor of this anatomical type. This
itself requires proof. It may be said that if we admit this, we must make the
much more difficult supposition that many complex types originated
independently. This, it will be remembered, was a point Darwin make against
Lamarck. But I, for my part, do not see that I am obliged to express a view
on such matters. Darwin himself considered that the idea of evolution is
unsatisfactory unless its mechanism can be explained. I agree, but since no one
has explained to my satisfaction how evolution could happen I do not feel
impelled to say that it has happened. I prefer to say that on this matter our
information is inadequate.

W.R. Thompson F.R.S., Director of Commonwealth Institute of Biological Control,
Ottawa. From his introduction to 'The Origin of Species,' Everyman's Library No 811 1963)

regards,
/Gary