Re: I am new

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 21:23:30 -0500

At 09:32 AM 6/5/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote:
>>the way they are thought out. The logic seems mostly solid. I am curious
>
>>to know: how sure is science about the pseudogene not having a
>>purpose?<<<
>
>I must, with reservations, agree. Speaking of pseudogenes, I remember
>reading somewhere (I can't remember the reference) that the pseudogene that
>is common to both man and ape causes them not to be able to produce vitamin
>C (a loss of DNA information, not an increase). Is that true?

i don't know about vitamin C. The ones I was referring to concerned the
epsilon immunoglobin.

"The crucial observation relating the discovery of pseudogenes to the
theory of evolution is this: some pseudogenes are shared between different
species. As examples, let's focus upon two human pseudogenes. . . My
colleagues and I were studying the human gene encoding immunoglobin epsilon
(a kind of antibody protein that participates in allergic reactions). We
found that, in addition to the expected functional gene, human DNA contains
two epsilon pseudogenes - one processed and one classical. Evidence from
our laboratory suggested that the processed epsilon pseudogene was inserted
at the same spot in both human and chimpanzee DNA. Dr. Honjo's group
investigated the DNA of other species and found evidence for this processed
pseudogene in gorillas as well as several monkey species. The classical
pseudogene is found within a large block of duplicated genes; the other
gense in this block are known to be functional, but one of the epsilon gene
duplicates suffered a deletion that removed DNA encoding about half of the
amino acids of the epsilon protein, thereby completely disabling the gene.
This pseudogene is apparently shared by man and gorilla, but but is not
found in other apes or monkeys. Other examples of shared pseudogenes are
known, and additional examples will almost certainly come to light as human
and other mammalian DNAs are studied. But even a single example is
sufficient to make a strong argument against the creationist
viewpoint."Edward E. Max, "Plagarized Errors and Molecular Genetics:
Another Argument in the Creation-Evolution Controversy,"Creation/Evolution
6:3, Winter 1986-87, p. 41-42
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood