Re: Glenn wrote:

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Sat, 30 May 1998 06:18:45 -0500

Bible?<<<<

Non sequitur again. The Bible doesn't say it, you said it. (Because
evolution takes a long time and it is more efficient to save the animals
the LAND had already brought forth! What is so difficult about that?)

> switches at high levels, then we might draw an evolutionary message after
> all. If genetic programs were beanbags of independent genes,each
> responsible for building a single part of the body, then evolution would
> have to occur slowly and sequentially as thousands of parts achieved
their
> independent modifications. But genetic programs are hierarchies of
master
> switches, and small genetic changes that happen to affect the switches,
> might engender cascading effects throughout the body. Homeotic mutants
> teach us that small genetic changes can affect the switches and produce
> remarkable changes in an adult fly. Major evolutionary transitions may
be
> instigated (although not finished all at once as hopeful monster
> enthusiasts argue) by small genetic changes that translate into
> fundamentally altered bodies. If classical Darwinian gradualism is now
> under attack in evolutionary circles, the hierarchical structure of
genetic
> programs forms a powerful argument for the critics."Stephen J. Gould,
> Helpful Monsters," _Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes_, 1984, Penguin,p196
> **
> "Thus when we say that the contemporary one-toed horse evolved from a
> five-toed ancestor, we are saying that hereditable changes occurred in
the
> differentiation of limb mesoderm into chondrocytes during embryogenesis
in
> the horse lineage. In this perspective, evolution is the result of
> hereditary changes affecting development. This is the case whether the
> mutation is one that changes the reptilian embryo into a bird or one that
> changes the color of Drosophila eyes."~Scott F. Gilbert, Developmental
> Biology (Sunderland: Sinauer Assoc. Inc., 1991), p. 841<<<<

Both of these people assume macroevolution to be true and base their
descriptions of embyology on it. It is precisely like what was written in
medieval times assuming geocentrism to be true and basing their
descriptions of the heavens on that. Now don't attempt to deflect that by
saying 'Christianity taught that'. That is irrelevant. The point being
that the assumption is wrong in the 1st place.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net