Re: evolution-digest V1 #930

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 27 May 1998 17:14:53 -0400

At 06:01 AM 5/27/98 +0800, Steve wrote:

>God could have arrange craters on the moon to spell out "Jesus saves" but
>He didn't. I think it was Pascal who said something like, "God has given
>enough evidence to support belief, but not enough evidence to *compel*
>belief".

Off the top of my head I can think of two Pascal quotes
along these lines:

"There is enough light for those who desire only to see,
and enough darkness for those with a contrary disposition"

"We have an incapacity for proving anything that no amount
of dogmatism can overcome. We have an idea of truth that
no amount of skepticism can overcome."

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"It is not certain that all is uncertain,
to the glory of skepticism." -- Pascal