Re: Glenn's ad hominems FAQ (was half-evolved feather pt 2)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 27 May 1998 06:01:20 +0800

Glenn

On Mon, 18 May 1998 21:11:51 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

>>GM>There are lots of skeletal differences. Some dinosaurs may have had

>>SJ>Then why would they not be called birds?

>>GM>Sigh. This is why I am giving up on you Stephen.

>SJ>I regard this as an ad hominem. When you get stuck for an answer you
>>often assume a lofty tone prefaced by "Sigh", and blame the questioner.

GM>Steve, This is not even close to the definition of an ad hominem. An ad
>hominem is like saying, 'Evolutionists can't be true because everyone knows
>that evolutionists are liars.'

An "ad hominem" literally means "to the man":

"ad hominem..., to the man; personal. An argument ad
hominem a. appeals to a person's prejudices or special interests
instead of to his intellect, or b. relies on personal attack."
(Delbridge A., et al., eds., "The Macquarie Encyclopedic Dictionary,"
1991, p11)

"Argumentum ad Hominem (abusive). This is argument by
character assassination. "Reject whatever he says because he is a
bad person." Literally, the fallacy's name means "argument
against the man." It is not an attack on the proposition, but
against the person." (Geisler N.L. & Brooks R.M, "Come, Let Us Reason,"
1990, pp93-94)

Rather than answer the question, you implied there was something wrong
with me. Therefor it was an "Argumentum ad Hominem (abusive)", albeit not a
very bad one.

GM>It is a sense of frustration, sincere frustration that you apparently have
>not studied the nature of biological classification at all.

This is another ad hominem. You are accusing me of having "not studied the
nature of biological classification at all" (which is untrue), because you cannot
explain what you mean about why "dinosaurs" which "had feathers" would
"not be called birds".

Here is the FAQ addition:

BLAMING OTHERS FOR HIS FAILURES

Blaming others for his failure to explain what he means: