Re: Glenn wrote:

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 26 May 1998 20:23:41 -0500

At 10:01 AM 5/26/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote of Weidenreich's oppostition
to Piltdown:

>You are very well-read. I did not know that and I have read alot of
>literature on this. However, on any find there is usually opposition
>literature but that doesn't take the headlines. I think of Charles Oxnard
>and his opposition to believing 'Lucy" was anything other than just an
>extinct chimpanzee.

Thank you for the kind words. If one is to attempt a solution for the
science/scriptural issues, one must be willing to read in a lot of fields
and NOT dispute the experts in the various fields. I can't see how a
layman can come in and tell the experts that they are wrong when the expert
has more info than the layman. One of the problems with the way Christians
have dealt with Science is that they tell the experts that they are wrong,
wrong, wrong, in spite of the fact that the Christian may have only read
one or two books on a given topic. No wonder we are viewed poorly by
scientists. It is like me telling a brain surgeon that he shouldn't cut in
a particular way!

I would like to correct one thing. Oxnard didn't think australopithecus
was a chimpanzee. He beleived it was something unique, different from a
chimp and different from human. He says,

"New views of some of these morphologies may mean that we now have to
envisage a range of functions for the fossils quite different from those
seen in any present-day form, either human, ape or even monkey. This also
then allows us to include in our investigations all those pieces of
information which were ignored in prior attempts to make these fossils fit
the conventional picture (or if they were not ignored, they were provided
with curious ad hoc arguments to suggest why they existed." ~ C. E. Oxnard,
"Human Fossils: The New Revolution," The Great Ideas Today, 1977, (Chicago:
Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1977), p. 97.

It is best to try to correctly state someone's arguments.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood