Re: Stephen wrote:

Calum MacLeod (mmacle@scri.sari.ac.uk)
Tue, 26 May 1998 10:22:51 GMT

John W. Burgeson wrote:

> Stephen Jones wrote (to Ed, I think):
>
> " Glenn hasn't denied that he has "engaged
> in ad hominem attacks". And no one else (evolutionist or creationist) who
> has been on the Reflector and in a position to know has denied it
> either."
>
> Excuse me, Stephen. Perhaps I have not expressed my self very clearly.
> Let me try again. IF GLENN HAS ENGAGED IN ANY AD HOMINEM ATTACKS ON ANY
> PERSON ON THIS OR ANY OTHER LISTSERV, I HAVE NOT OBSERVED IT. I say this
> as one who has engaged a great deal with Glenn on several LISTSERVs over
> the past few years and has read probably 80% of everything he has written
> to them, including both his books.
>
> Now it is entirely possible, though I'd suggest unlikely, that Glenn has
> indeed done such a nefarious thing elsewhere. So I cannot claim too much.
> I do claim the above.

I've been on this list for something over a year now, posting rarely,
but reading pretty much everything. I've seen _ad hominem_ attacks
often enough to know what one looks like, but *never* from Glenn.
Indeed, while I don't agree with his central thesis, I believe that
his desire to get at the truth and his manner of engaging with the
data (rather than on grounds of personality) are wholly exemplary.
If only everyone here followed that example.

Calum.
Calum MacLeod Tel: +44 1382 562731
Scottish Crop Research Institute Fax: +44 1382 562426
Invergowrie
Dundee
DD2 5DA
Scotland