RE: After Fundamentalism (was Destructive criticism of Christian apologists (was Denigrating...

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Mon, 25 May 1998 12:54:16 -0500

These are good points, Jim.

At the same time, I think the reason Glenn has brought up the issues he's
raised is that many Christians (indeed, many people generally) have used
these evidences (tools, reflection on death, art, music, etc.) as
paradigmatic indicators of humanity.

For Christians, these evidences were not typically meant to displace or
replace the imago Dei, but to exemplify it (rationality, spiritual
consciousness, creativity, etc.).

Given that the imago Dei is not a self-evident theological concept (and is
one whose content has varied significantly over time as a result), Christian
theologians need to spell it out, and then see if it has empirical
implications which are accessible to the sciences. Many, perhaps most, have
thought the aforementioned evidences and mental analogs were such.

If you don't think so, that's fine, but I hope you're not suggesting Glenn
is being way off base or naive in thinking this. (And BTW, houses of
cards -collapse-, not -crumble-. ;^> )

One question: while the imago Dei is clearly in Christian theology a
hallmark of humanity, do you know of any Biblical evidence to -require- that
it's -unique- to humans (v. angels, say, or extraterrestrials, or
proto-humans, or ...)? I'm genuinely curious -- offhand, I can't think of
any, aside from its not being mentioned in reference to other beings (which
may be significant, but signifying what, exactly, since there are only a few
[4 or 5?] references to it wrt humanity?).

--John