RE: the atheist question

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Mon, 18 May 1998 07:39:54 -0500

Just to be the devil's advocate here (I, uh, mean that only idiomatically!
:^> ):

GIVEN that she was/had already healed well before (-at least- 10 weeks) the
prayers of healing were applied, why not interpret this is a run-of-the-mill
spontaneous remission followed by an intensely emotional experience that
broke through her deeply ingrained living-with-osteoporosis/arthritis
behavioral and thought habits? (Unless we wish to apply backward-in-time
causation, which seems conceivable [especially theistically], but not part
cause-and-effect as we normally evaluate it.)

I certainly don't mean to suggest that we shouldn't praise God for healing,
nor is it obvious that God -wasn't- either supernaturally involved or
directly responsible for the healing. I'm just pointing out the apparent
evidential/causal peculiarities here.

One big question: how often do "spontaneous remissions" happen with these
conditions? Is it unheard of? or 20% of the time? 1%? n%? If it's
either unheard of or only happens when folks are prayed for, obviously, then
the case for miraculous healing seems stronger. Otherwise, the evidence
seems less conclusive.

Right?

(An aside: this seems relevant to the miracles, continuity, and evolution
discussion, but let's remember that this is fundamentally an evolution
discussion group.)

--John