Re: Destructive criticism of Christian apologists (wasDenigrating falsehood)

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Sun, 17 May 1998 06:50:40 -0500

>>> I will only applaud when conservative
Christians cease running from observation, and liberal christians cease
surrendering historicity in what should be the word of God.<<<

Glenn, have you read "Creation and Evolution" by Alan Hayward? Copyright
1985

>>>Why should
> Christians be slower than non-Christians to come to grip with new data?
> Why are we the ones who wait 10-20 years before telling the laity about
> some new discovery<<<<

I do not know about others but the reason I take modern findings with a
grain of salt is a) They invariably assume macroevolution took place and b)
most of the time the findings are found to be wrong or at least must be
modified.

> that teachers are held to a stricter standard. <<<<<

Macroevolutionists do this all the time. "Ontogeny recapitulates
Phylogeny" is STIll taught in some places. The same brush you use to
denigrate christian apologists can be used on macroevolutionists, too.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net

----------
<evolution@udomo2.calvin.edu>
> Subject: Re: Destructive criticism of Christian apologists
(wasDenigrating falsehood)
> Date: Saturday, May 16, 1998 9:30 PM
>
> At 08:52 AM 5/16/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:
> >
> >But my argument is not that these Christian apologists should not be
> corrected if
> >they are wrong, but you never say anything *positive* about them. You
> attack your
> >fellow Christians with a hostility that is relentless. I cannot square
> this with the
> >New Testament understanding of how Christians are to think and act.
>
> Stephen, I will admit to being very discouraged at this moment. The
> discouragment comes from my general observation that we believers would
> rather postulate that the entire body of observational evidence is wrong
> than question our interpretation of the Bible. And the more liberal
branch
> of Christianity would rather believe that the Scripture is unhistorical
or
> untrue whenever the observational data goes against an interpretation of
> scripture. Both approaches to this issue makes the Bible questionable as
> far as its ability to relate truth. I will only applaud when
conservative
> Christians cease running from observation, and liberal christians cease
> surrendering historicity in what should be the word of God.
>

> >Well how about it Glenn? "Do you go regularly to church? Do you read
the
> >Bible and pray regularly? Do you pray for your `enemies' like Morris,
Gish,
> >Ross and Johnson?"
> >

> Yes actually I do pray for them and for the day that Christians will
cease
> running from observational facts like chickens run from foxes. I don't
want
> dishonour brought upon Christianity in any form. But until we christians
> are will to TRUST GOD that He is able to handle any observational data
AND
> to TRUST GOD that His word is true in more than an allegorical or
> metaphyscial sense, Christian apologists, in my opinion, will continue
> bring dishonour upon the Bible by either making the bible say things that
> can't possibly be true or by starting with the assumption that the Bible
is
> untrue historically and thus has little connection with the real world.
If
> [...]
> (that is infallibly)?
>

> >GM>Pseudogenes were around for over 10 years but were not
> >>discussed in antievolutionary literature until the past couple of
years.

> >So what? All discilines are affected by what Denton (Kuhn?) called
> >"the priority of the paradigm". Christian apologists are slowly coming
> >to grips with scientific issues.
>
> This is my point Stephen, they are SLOWLY coming to grips. Why should
> Christians be slower than non-Christians to come to grip with new data?
> Why are we the ones who wait 10-20 years before telling the laity about
> some new discovery? The atheists are eager to tell our children
> yesterday's discovery that contradicts their interpretation of the Bible.
> It seems to me that we are slow for two reasons: we don't have answers
and
> so don't want people to know this and we fail to read the latest
scientific
> material. The book Johnson used as his main paleo reference was a 1985
> reprint of a 1974 vertebrate paleo book. Johnson was using material 20
> years out of date as his primary source. Surely Christians can do better
> than that. In 1991 when Johnson published Carroll's 1988 Vertebrate
> paleontology was on the library shelves waiting to be read. But he
didn't.
> No wonder he didn't know the latest although I will tell you that as far
> back as my paleo books go, (back to the 40's) bats have been suggested to
> come from the insectivores and whales from the mesonychids.
>
> >Part of the reason is that it is
> >often hard to work out what exactly *is* the current scientific view
> >of anything, so rapidly do scientific theories change.
>
> We could do that better if we depended upon 1988 books rather than
reading
> reprints of a 1974 textbook. One obviously can not learn the latest
> science by reading OLD science books. Surely you understand that.
>
> >I said before, that the *real* problem is your lack of *love*
> >for "apologists":
>
> I have love for the apologist, but no love for what they are doing to
> christianity.
>
> >GM>Stephen, it is no crime to ask Christians to get their facts correct.
> >>make the kinds of mistakes that we do makes our Lord, our religion and
us,
> >>look foolish.
> >
> >This your usual line by which you justify your vendetta against all
> >Christian apologists. But I believe it is only a pretext. Otherwise
> >you would also say *positive* things about them too.
> >

> So are you saying that it is OK to teach incorrect facts? James 3:1 says
> that teachers are held to a stricter standard. I would presume that this
> means a higher standard of truth.
>

> >In any event, your constant denigration of those Christian apologists
like
> >Johnson and Ross who could help them (as they have helped thousands)
makes