Re: Destructive criticism of Christian apologists (was Denigrating falsehood)

Ed Brayton (cynic@net-link.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 11:18:08 -0400

Cliff Lundberg wrote:

> Ed Brayton wrote:
>
> > In fact, I would challenge you and anyone else out there who
> > thinks that Glenn has engaged in ad hominem attacks to either
> > support the charge or retract it.
>
> The point of the term 'ad hominem' is irrelevancy and evasiveness
> in argument about a topic. I for one have lost sight of your topic.

Ad hominem is the fallacy of concluding that a position is false by
attacking the person espousing that position. Stephen Jones has charged
that Glenn Morton has regularly and repeatedly engaged in ad hominem
attacks on "Christian apologists". I have simply asserted that Stephen
should either support that claim, or retract it. In fact, I would go
even further and say that in the absence of supporting that claim,
Stephen is coming rather close to engaging in an ad hominem attack
himself. Fairly simple and obvious, I would think.

Ed