Re: Destructive criticism of Christian apologists (was Denigrating falsehood)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 08:52:35 +0800

Glenn

On Sun, 10 May 1998 21:23:41 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

>SJ>You don't just "disagree with what they" (ie. "Christian apologists") say,
>>you "attack" them *destructively*. I don't think I have ever heard you say
>>anything positive about any "Christian apologists.

GM>This is an interesting criticism. Yesterday I added the list of my
>publications to my web page. Go see if I didn't treat myself in the same
>fashion.
>
>http://www.isource.net/~grmorton/publi.htm

I looked this up and I cannot see how it answers my claim that "I have ever
heard you say anything positive about any `Christian apologists.'"

GM>When we are wrong, factually wrong, we have no inherent right to have
>people agree with us. And people have a duty to try to correct us. I
>personally am grateful to the many people who confronted me when I was a
>young-earth creationist. They didn't tell me my views were correct. They
>pointed out over and over and over again that what I was saying was
>contradicted by observational evidence. They didn't tell me that my views
>were as good as theirs, because my views weren't anywhere near as good as
>theirs. My views at that time were terribly misguided and someone (actually
>many) was needed to tell me clearly that I WAS WRONG!!!! Far from doing bad
>for me, they actually made me better.

It is a moot point whether you jumping from YEC to TE/DE is "better". Then
you may have at least been sympathetic with some Christian apologists. Now
you seem hostile to *all* of them.

But my argument is not that these Christian apologists should not be corrected if
they are wrong, but you never say anything *positive* about them. You attack your
fellow Christians with a hostility that is relentless. I cannot square this with the
New Testament understanding of how Christians are to think and act.

GM>We don't do anyone a favor when they say something false and we act as if
>they are correct. When Don Boys, in a book introduced by Duane Gish, writes
>of Baalbek,

[...]

This is just a red herring. There is no doubt that YECs say wrong things. But
my point is that you never have anything *positive* about them, or even
OECs . Whether you realise it or not, evolution has become your shibboleth.

>SJ>I have asked you for you to state your what your Christian bona fides are, in
>>order to assess your Christian credibility in attacking leading "Christian
>>apologists" like Hugh Ross and Phil Johnson. But you have ignored same. In case
>>this was an oversight, I will again give you an opportunity to state what your
>>Christian bona fides are:

GM>Doubting my Christianity huh? I believe that Jesus Christ was the son of
>God, the maker of Heaven and Earth. He died on the cross, rose the third
>day and today sits at the right hand of God the Father. It was his
>sacrifice and his sacrifice alone that pays the penalty for my sins. My
>works don't mean a thing. Through Him, and Him alone, is one able to find
>eternal life and forgiveness of sin. Jesus is also to be the Lord of our
>lives, meaning that we are to do what we believe He has led us to do. For
>me, this means a struggle in the area of Christian apologetics, a struggle
>I might add that has little to show for it.
>
>I hope this satisfies you that I am a believer, but if it doesn't that is
>your problem.

I said nothing about you not being "a believer". It is possible to be "a
believer" and yet be "worldly" (1Cor 3:3); or a spiritual "infant" (Heb
5:12-13). What I wanted was evidence of your Christian *spiritual maturity*
to assess where you are coming from in your relentless, bitter attacks on
godly Christian leaders like Ross and Johnson: