Re: Destructive criticism of Christian apologists (was Denigrating falsehood)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 06:45:51 +0800

Ed

On Sun, 10 May 1998 23:00:59 -0400, Ed Brayton wrote:

EB>Very well said, Glenn. If I were you, I would also demand that Stephen
>post examples of the "constant stream of ad hominem attacks" that he
>accused you of on Saturday. I have never seen such an example, and I
>doubt that Stephen can find any in your e-mail messages.

First, you haven't been on this Reflector long enough to know; second you
will note that Glenn didn't deny it; and third, since your are "a staunch
advocate of the theory of evolution", I doubt if you would be an impartial
judge in this matter.

EB>He seems to think that "ad hominem" means criticizing the work of someone
he agrees with.

See above.

EB>As for his demand that you post your "Christian bona fides" (that
>was an amusing way to word it, don't you think?)

As a "deist and "a staunch advocate of the theory of evoltuion",
you presumably do not think that "Christian bona fides" mean very
much? But if Glenn claims to be a *Christian* and asserts the right
to destructively criticise leading Christian apologists like Phil Johnson
and Hugh Ross, then it is relevant that Glenn states where he is coming
from. If, for example, Glenn does not even go regularly to church, read his
Bible and pray, then in the eyes of most of the Christians I know, he would
be regarded as not having the basic Christian spiritual `credentials'
to do the job.

EB>, I think that Mr. Jones should either support his statement that you have
>engaged in a "constant stream of ad hominem attacks" or retract it before
>anyone feels compelled to take his claim of being a Christian seriously. That's
>what a "bona fide" Christian would do.

Stick around Ed and see for yourself! I will point them out when they occur!

I would have absolutely *no problem whatsoever* stating my Christian "bona fides"!
And I am not worried in the slightest (for myself) that you a deist, do not take my
"claim of being a Christian seriously." According to your worldview, claiming
to be a Christian would not mean all that much factually.

Indeed, your support of Glenn actually helps my argument. Non-Christians would
like Glenn's attacking of Christian apologists. What Glenn apparently fails to realise
is that his desteructive attacks on Christian leaders just confirm non-Christians like
your in their existing views. No non-Christian would ever become a Christian because
of Glenn's destructive criticism of leading Christian apologists.

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)