Re: Longisquama: cover girl

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sat, 09 May 1998 21:14:51 +0800

--_=_=_=IMA.BOUNDARY.HTML_4820800=_=_=_

Glenn

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 20:33:58 -0500, Glenn Morton wrote:

GM>Concerning claims that Longisquama was ignored over the years and thus a
>young-earth creationist making the claim that there is no half-evolved
>feather should not be held accountable for knowing about it...

The actual claim was that:

"There are no true transitional forms (that is, in the sense of forms containing
incipient, developing or transitional structures-such as half-scales/half-feathers,
or half-legs/ half-wings) anywhere among all the billions of known fossil forms."
(Morris H.M. & Parker G.E., "What is Creation Science?," 1987, p11)

The emphais is on the "true". M&P would no doubt agree that there are
*claimed* transitional forms, but they believe that these are not "true transitional
forms":

"...the stratomorphic intermediate evidences are not without difficulty for
evolutionary theory. First, none of the stratomorphic intermediates have
intermediate structures. Although the entire organism is intermediate in
structure, it's the *combination* of structures that is intermediate, not the
nature of the structures themselves. Each of these organisms appears to
be a fully functional organism full of fully functional structures.
Archaeopteryx, for example, is thought to be intermediate between reptiles
and birds because it has bird structures (e.g, feathers) and reptile
structures (e.g., teeth, forelimb claws). Yet the teeth, the claws, the
feathers and all other known structures of Archaeopteryx appear to be fully
functional. The teeth seem fully functional as teeth, the claws as claws,
and the feathers as any flight feathers of modern birds. It is merely the
combination of structures that is intermediate, not the structures
themselves." (Wise K.P., "The Origin of Life's Major Groups," in Moreland
J.P., ed., "The Creation Hypothesis," 1994, p227)

This is a YEC claim. One proved major transitional form would be *fatal* to
YEC which holds that all the major "kinds" were created de novo within
6 x 24-hour days, about 10,000 years ago.

My Mediate Creation position is not that there are no transitional forms, but
there are not enough of them. What the fossil record pervasively reveals
is therefore not *Darwinian* evolution:

"Because Darwinian evolution is a purposeless, chance-driven process,
which would not proceed directly from a starting point to a destination,
there should also be thick bushes of side branches in each line. As Darwin
himself put it, if Darwinism is true the Precambrian world must have "swarmed
with living creatures" many of which were ancestral to the Cambrian animals."
(Johnson P.E., "Darwinism's Rules of Reasoning", in Buell J. & Hearn V., eds.,
"Darwinism: Science or Philosophy?", 1994, pp13-14)

But having said that, while not ruling out such "true transitional forms" *to date*
I have seen no good evidence that there are "forms containing incipient,
developing or transitional structures-such as half-scales/half-feathers, or half-
legs/ half-wings."

GM>In April 1975, Longisquama made the cover of Scientific American. Pretty
>good for a 225 million year old girl from Russia.

Which in itself defeats his own argument. The diagram on page 60 shows the
first birds at about 150 mya. Therefore there is a gap of *75 million years*
between Longisquama and the first birds. Where are all the intermediates?

GM>The caption inside says:
>
>"The painting on the cover depicts Longisquama, a tiny (less than six inches
>long creature that lived in the Triassic period some 225 million years ago.
>It was a thecodont, a memeber of a group that was descended fromearly
>reptiles and included the ancestors of the dinosaurs. Unlike typical
>retiles, most thecodonts were 'warm-blooded,' like mammals and birds. And
>so too, it appears, were the dinosaurs. (see 'Dinosaur Renaissance,' by
>Robert T. Bakker, p. 58) Longisquama had plumelike devices on its back

It had an extended *ridge of scales* on its back, like other "finbacks":

"The first predators capable of killing relatively large prey were the finback
pelycosaurs of the family Sphenacodontidae, typified by Dimetrodon, whose
tall-spined fin makes it popular with cartoonists." (Bakker R.T., "Dinosaur
Renaissance," Scientific American, April 1975, Vol. 232, No. 4, p59)

GM>and a covering of insulating scales; such scales were a stage in the evolution of
>feathers.

The article is full of such question-begging assertions. There is no actual
evidence that "scales were a stage in the evolution of feathers". As I have
pointed out (but you just ignore as usual), in a recent study Brush has concluded
that:

"The molecular evidence questions the simple, direct relation of the
specialized statures of birds to reptile scale. I will provide arguments to
show that reptilian scales and feathers are related only by the fact that
their origin is in epidermal tissue. Every feature from gene structure and
organization, to development, morphogenesis and tissue organization is
different. I believe that while there is phenotypic similarity in some scales,
that feathers are unique to birds and deserve consideration as an
evolutionary novelty." (Brush A.H., "On the origin of feathers," Journal of
Evolutionary Biology, 9, 1996, p132)

GM>Longisquama is part of the evidence that dinosaurs were not
>reptiles but a novel 'warm-blooded' group, and that they are not really
>extinct after all--that the birds are a living group of dinosaurs." "The
>Cover", Scientific American April 1975, p. 4

This is an example of the muddled thinking that is evident in the article.
Longisquama was not even a "dinosaur":

"So what exactly is a dinosaur? And how do paleontologists decide
on the groups they belong to? There are four features that determine
what counts as a dinosaur:

Dinosaurs lived only in the Mesozoic Era. Dinosaur remains have
been discovered in rocks which range in age from the latest part of
the Triassic Period (about 220 mya) throughout the Jurassic Period
and up to the end of the Cretaceous Period (66 mya) - spanning
approximately 155 million years of Earth history. Therefore any
prehistoric creature which comes from rocks which can be dated at
older then 220 million years or younger than 66 million years is very
unlikely to be a dinosaur...

All dinosaurs walk on upright, pillar-like legs. That is the final and
most distinctive characteristic of all. Among the reptiles, only
dinosaurs have managed to arrange their legs in such a way that they
are held directly beneath their body. All other reptiles have their legs
splayed outward at an angle from the sides of the body, so that their
feet are wide apart."

(Norman D., "Dinosaur!," Boxtree: London, 1991, p48)

GM>Bakker in his article has the following caption (Robert T. Bakker, "Dinosaur
>Renaissance," Scientific American, April, 1975, p. 68)
>
>"Longisquama, a small animal whose fossil was discovered in middle Triassic
>lake beds in Turkestan by the Russian paleontologist A. Sharov, was a
>thecodont. ITs body was covered by long overlapping scales that were
>keeled, suggesting that they constituted a structural stage in the evolution
>of feathers."

What you conveniently left out was the remainder of the caption:

"...The long devices along the back were V-shaped in cross section; they
may have served as parachutes and also as threat devices, as shown here."
(Bakker R.T., "Dinosaur Renaissance," Scientific American, April
1975, Vol. 232, No. 4, p68)

What is important to note here is that Bakker is *not* claiming that the "The
long devices along the back" are the proto-feathers, but the "long overlapping
scales" that Longisquama's "body was covered by".

GM>And speaking of Longisquama,
>
>"More important is the covering of long, overlapping, keeled scales that
>trapped an insulating layer of air next to its body. These scales lacked
>the complex anatomy of real feathers, but they are a perfect ancestral stage
>for the insulation of birds."(ibid., p. 70

This quote actually asserts the *exact opposite* of what you are claiming.
Your claim was that what Bakker calls "the long devices along the back",
were the proto-feathers, *not* the "long overlapping scales" that Longisquama's
"body was covered by":