Re: If Genesis isn't historically true, then it can't be God's

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:25:27 -0500

At 07:05 AM 5/1/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:
>Glenn
>
>On Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:29:08 -0500, Glenn Morton wrote:
>
>GM>...if Genesis isn't historically true, then it can't be God's word...
>
>If "historically true" means *literally* "historically true", eg. as
>in a newspaper report, then I ask, "Why not?" The Bible specifically
>says that God's word can be and was given "in various ways":
[snip]
>A more
>flexible approach is therefore called for.

I didn't say "literally historical true." I said "historically true".
There must be a factual basis for the events in Genesis. That is all I
mean. If Genesis is made up of whole cloth, then it isn't true. One can
then choose to interpret the bible as literally or not as literally as they
want after that. If there was no Noah or no Adam, then I think we have a
problem even if others don't. I prefer personally to make it as literal as
possible but I am willing to realise that my interpretation may not be the
correct one.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood