Re: Yet more denigrating of Apologists (was Why?)

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:13:57 -0500

GM>>>Let me cite the case of Jim Lippard who was a high school student who
believed in young-earth creationism. He writes:

"Around 1984 I began using a Phoenix computer bulletin board system called
Apollo (...), which had a number of active atheists on it. At first I did
not contribute a lot to the ongoing discussions, but eventually I became
one
of the most outspoken people on the BBs. Watching some of the
Christian=versus-atheist arguments moved me further away from Christianity.

Although I initially defended Christianity, I found that its opponents
generally had the better arguments." ~Jim Lippard, "Jim Lippard: From
Fundamentalism to Open-ended Atheism," in Edward T. Babinski, Leaving the
Fold, (Amherst: Prometheus Books, 1995), p. 321<<<

He was welcome to change his beliefs, wasn't he. No one forced him or
coerced him or belittled him .

Now let me state the story of Danny Phillips -
Danny Phillips was a 15 year-old high-school junior in the Denver area who
thought for himself. His class was assigned to watch a NOVA programs,
produced with government funds for National Public Television, which stated
the usual evolutionary story as fact. Its story went something like this:
"the first organized form of primitive life was a tiny protozoan....from
these one-celled organisms evolved all life on earth."......Danny knew that
this claim of moleculel-to-man evolution goes far beyond the scientific
evidence. So he wrote a lengthy paper criticizing the NOVA program as
propaganda. School administrators at first agreed that Danny had a point,
and they tentatively decided to withdraw the NOVA program from the
curriculum. That set off a media firestorm......The fact that
administrators seriously considered any dissent from evolutionary
naturalism infuriated the Darwinists, who flooded the DENVER POST newspaper
with their letters. Some of the letters were so venomous that the
editorial page editor of the paper admitted that her liberal faith had been
shaken. She wrote that "these defenders of intellectual freedom behaved,
in fact, just like a bunch of conservative Christians. Their's was a
different kind of fundamentalism, but no less dogmatic and no less
intolerant." I had editorialized the story in the interests of space,
found in DEFEATING DARWINISM BY OPENING MINDS by Phillip Johnson, pp 34.

Is that fair or not?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net

<evolution@calvin.edu>