Re: Why?

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:11:57 -0500

>>>Why do so
> many in this group seem to believe that if they can point out the
multiple
> and obvious inadequacies within the range of evolutionary theories, they
> have thereby established the legitimacy of their own position?<<<

I cannot speak for others but I wish it known that when macroevolutionists
speak of the THEORY OF EVOLUTION as a fact instead of a rather specious
philosophical premise it is wrong. It is an act of faith, just as my
position is, but its not presented that way. It actually takes more faith
to believe in macroevolutionism (using Ockham's razor) than it does to
believe in creation by God. It all bottoms out as belief. An atheist
believes in macroevolution because of faith, nothing else. I believe that
'God created...." because of faith, nothing else.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net

----------
> [...]
ignorance.
> Usually, it goes like this: if you can't prove your point, that is
> sufficient to prove mine. It's not clear to me if Dario is arguing this,
> but I've seen a good many others who have so argued. But of course, a
> failure to adequately demonstrate one position doesn't at all lend
credence
> to any other possible position. They could all be wrong.
> This second fallacy seems to rest on a third, I think. I
> frequently encounter the notion that, on the matter of origins, there is
> Theory A, and there is Theory Z. One must be right, and the other must
be
> wrong. But this is a false alternative. In fact, when it comes to
origins,
> there is no "Theory A" or "Theory Z." There are a variety of
evolutionary
> positions, and a spectrum of speculations on the part of those who hold
> Intelligent Design, or Theistic Evolution, or Special Creation. The
fallacy
> of false alternative depends on mistaking such discrete options for
> exclusive categories. "Theory A is right and Theory Z is wrong," *only*
> works when, say, Theory Z is a complementary class to Theory A (meaning:
> class of all non-A theories), and not simply an alternative to Theory A.
> Based on numberless conversations with folks on both sides of the origins
> issue, I have a suspicion that many people tend to confuse the Principle
of
> Non-Contradiction with the Principle of Excluded Middle, and then further
> muddy things up by invoking the Princicple of Sufficient Reason, which
> frequently results in the presentation of a false alternative.
> Finally, on "a matter of faith." This makes everything humanly
> knowable "a matter of faith," as Descartes showed. But it sounds as
though
> Dario is proposing "faith" as the appropriate response to a lack of
> certainty. If so, this is a time-honored philosophical position, and its
> name is "skepticism." I cannot be certain if there are unicorns in my
> office right now, but I have "faith" that there are such unicorns here.
> cannot be certain that the clothes I am wearing are the same ones I put
on
> this morning, but I have "faith" that they are. I cannot be certain that
> the sun will set in the west this evening, but I have "faith" that it
will.
> In short, I am abdicating knowledge in favor of "faith." This is a
robust
> skeptical position. When knowledge is defined by certainty, "faith" is
all
> that is left -- for anything. For most of us, most of the time, the
> question is not about our faith, but about what justifies our faith. Do
we
> have good evidence for the claims we make about the object of our faith?
Is