Re: Neanderthal Flute

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:13:34 -0500

At 05:52 AM 4/14/98 +0800, Stephen Jones wrote:

>Turks claim in the original article never was as definite as you made
>out. The title was a question: "The oldest musical instrument in
>Europe discovered in Slovenia?", and the text was tentative as
>befits good science:

Turk is standing by this thing being a flute.

Stephen, you go from assumption here:

>Second, it is such a short piece of bone, it could be just a
>coincidence, and represents a selection effect by the archaeologist.
>That is, hundreds of bones are ignored because they have no obvious
>pattern, but one is selected because it has an apparent pattern.

To turning that assumption into a fact here.

>There probably *are* "a greater horde of punched bones". But the
>archaeological "literature" only reports those bones that look like
>they are intelligently designed. The others are just ignored (like
>stasis was) as `not data':

And you present no documentation of all these punched bones that you think
exist. Go find an archaeologist to back you up and you will have something.
Until then this is merely a case of you convincing yourself.

And now you have turned that fact into a research program.

>Maybe all such claimed flutes need to be re-evaluated. It is easy to
>see how archaeologists can find thousands of bones chewed by animals
>and only keep those few that have an apparent pattern flute-like
>pattern.
>
>GM>Thirdly, even if this flute does not survive the test of time,
>>there is still the much older flute found at Haua Fteah, Lybia
>
>The "flute" at "Haua Fteah" is in *Africa* and was thought to be the
>work of *anatomically modern humans*:
>
>"The first modern humans...without doubt the most important
>development in Middle Stone Age Africa was the emergence of the first
>anatomically modern humans, Homo sapiens sapiens, in the south of the
>continent around 100,000 years ago....At both Klasies River Mouth and
>Haua Fteah on the Libyan coast extensive accumulations of shell
>middens provide some of the earliest evidence in the world for the
>use of marine resources such as shellfish." (Scarre C., ed., "Past
>Worlds: The Times Atlas of Archaeology", 1995 reprint, p66)

to my knowledge there are no anatomically modern fossils found at the layers
containing the flute. And you are missing the reason I use these musical
instruments. Hugh Ross denies that there is any evidence of spirituality
prior to 60,000 years ago. I don't care who makes the flute at nearly 100
kyr, it strongly suggests that Adam was prior to that time.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood