Re: half-evolved feather pt 2

Ron Chitwood (chitw@flash.net)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 05:49:23 -0500

GM>>>"Longisquama insignis is a remarkable, tiny (some 50 millimeters[2 in]
long)
presumed thecodont from the late Triassic of Turkestan and the only known
reptile to possess scales that show a possible intermediacy with feathers.

The tiny specimen is preserved in its entirety, crushed on a slab. it
exhibits an antorbital fenestra, a well-developed furcula, and long keeled,

overlapping body scales." Alan Feduccia, The Origin and Evolution of Birds,

1996, p. 87<<<

The normal wishful thinking of a macroevolutionist.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.. Pr. 3:5
Ron Chitwood
chitw@flash.net

----------
> From: Glenn Morton <grmorton@waymark.net>
> To: evolution@calvin.edu
> Subject: half-evolved feather pt 2
> Date: Wednesday, April 08, 1998 8:38 PM
>
> I have chased a bit back into the literature looking for info on the
> Longisquama feather-like scales. What I found is really fascinating.
>
> "Longisquama insignis is a remarkable, tiny (some 50 millimeters[2 in]
long)
> presumed thecodont from the late Triassic of Turkestan and the only known

> reptile to possess scales that show a possible intermediacy with
feathers.
> The tiny specimen is preserved in its entirety, crushed on a slab. it
> exhibits an antorbital fenestra, a well-developed furcula, and long
keeled,
> overlapping body scales." Alan Feduccia, The Origin and Evolution of
Birds,
> 1996, p. 87
>
> The figure on page 88 has the following caption says that it possessed a
> unique gliding mechanism of "a double series of long scalelike structures

> that were unfolded in butterfly fashion to form a gliding wing." P. 88
>
> the scales are as long as the animal and each one is separate from the
other
> scales and looks like a feather.
>
> Now, the above should go some distance towards answering what Kenyon and
> Davis ask of the fossil record,
>
> "If only we could find a fossil showing scales developing the properties
of
> feathers, or lungs that were intermediate between the very different
> reptilian and avian lungs, then we would ahve more to go on. But the
fossil
> record gives no evidence for such changes." Percival Davis and Dean H.
> Kenyon, Of Pandas and People, Dallas Haughton Publishing, 1993, p. 106
>

> Since the first english language report on Longisquama appeard in 1972
(P.
> F. A. Maderson, Am. Natu. 106:424 (1972)) 17 years prior to the 1st
> edition, and 21 years prior to the publication of the second edition of
Of