RE: The wonders of science.

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:56:01 -0500

At 12:32 AM 4/9/98 -0500, Juan Guzman wrote:

[SC]
>Stated differently, evolution only attempts to explain how complex forms
>came into being. Evolution does not concern itself with metaphysical
>questions of design.

[JG]
>However even when trying to explain the complex it fails. To this day I
>have not seen anyone try to answer the obstacles to evolution found in
>Behe's book. I think that it is very important that evolutionist begin to
>look into these obstacles, and either admit that they are equally ignorant
>as to how these systems could have formed, or, at least, begin to initiate
>research towards finding answers to these ojections.

This is a reasonable point of discussion, however, it strays from your
earlier complaint that evolution failed to account for design. To this
complaint I responded that this is not within the proper purview of
evolution. This counterpoint of mine you have not addressed, rather you
change tacks and bring up Behe's book.

It is fine to disagree with the claims of evolution, but to say that
evolution is only consistent with the absemce of design is not a proper
claim of the science. It is fair to reject this metaphysical claim, but
this rejection does not automatically cause rejection of the proper claims
of evolution science.

Anyway, I do not believe that Behe's book presents a serious challenge to
evolution science. His thesis is based on classical Darwinina evolution
model rather than on the more current neoDarwinian synthesis. His criticism
is also based on a poor philosophy of science in which he assumes that only
reason for the absence of data on cellular evolution is that it is
nonexistent. Equally plausible is that the research simply hasn't been done.

>I for one am not against evolution, however, I cannot yet aford myself the
>liberty of embracing it due to the fact that there are still many things
>that have been left unanswered.

Here, it sounds as if you are an agnostic when it comes to evolution.
However, your earlier posts seem to clearly place you firmly against evolution.

Cheers!
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D . Phone: 608/263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: 608/263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and Email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Center
CSC K4-432
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings to
search out a matter." Proverbs