Re: Maupertuis, etc (was Argument from authority? (was DIFFICULTIES OF...))

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 26 Mar 98 21:15:08 +0800

Brian

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 22:38:07 -0500, Brian D Harper wrote:

[...]

>>BH>No one witnessed the (hypothetical) historical process during
>>>which gravity, acting according to the (hypothetical) inverse
>>>square law, produced the oblate shape of the earth.

>>SJ>Obviously, but my point "It was also witnessed by human observers-
>>which macroevolution has not been.." was related to your point that
>>"the actual process which generated the oblate spheroid shape was an
>>historical process which could not be repeated."

BH>I fail to see your point. As I said above, no one witnessed
>the historical process.

And I said "obviously". I was referring to the expedition.

BH>[skipping a lot, thanks for the sources on Maupertuis]

That's OK.

[...]

>>BH>...It seems that a lot of people
>>>would like to reserve the word evolution as applying only to
>>>biological evolution. It seems to be too late for that.

>>SJ>Agreed. "Evolution" originally meant "unrolling" but now its
>>acquired a meaning of its own:

BH>[deleted Jaki quote]

>>SJ>Indeed it is too late. The word "evolution" has become a loaded word
>>that in today's parlance means a naturalistic, materialistic,
>>mechnanistic process, in which there is no room for the supernatural,
>>as Julian Huxley, co-founder of Neo-Darwinism declared:
>>
>>"...all aspects of reality are subject to evolution, from atoms and stars
>>to fish and flowers, from fish and flowers to human societies and
>>values- indeed, that all reality is a single process of evolution...In the
>>evolutionary pattern of thought there is no longer either need or room
>>for the supernatural." (Huxley J., in Tax S. (ed.), "Evolution after
>>Darwin", Vol. 3, 1960) in Johnson P.E., "Darwin on Trial", 1993,
>>pp152-153)

BH>OK, so the context makes it clear what Huxley means when he says
>evolution. This doesn't mean that evolution always means this. Just pay
>attention to context and it should be clear, as it is above.

I doubt it. Darwinists often deceive themselves by using the same
word "evolution" for different things. In fact at some level the self-
deception must be deliberate because it is the piggy-backing of the
evidence for one level of evolution onto another that is a Darwinist
stock-in-trade. If they started clarifying their terms, then their
claims would lose much of their force. This is clear when the word
"microevolution" is distinguished from "macroevolution", which
Neo-Darwinists in particular resist.

[...]

>>BH>Yes.

>>SJ>In this case I am not prepared to accept your "authority". Please
>>post *evidence* that there are such persons called "plasticians".

BH>I'm having a hard time understanding what the problem is,
>perhaps I'm using unfamiliar terminology. I have used this
>type terminology all of my (professional) life so perhaps
>I jumped to the conclusion that people would automatically
>know what I mean. Anyway, a plastician is someone who is
>specialized in the field of plasticity. My general area
>of expertise is mechanics so I would call myself a
>mechanician. Someone specializing in the theory of
>elasticity would be an elastician, etc.
>
>So, I claim that there is a community of individuals whose
>professional expertise is plasticity. Do you doubt that
>this is so?

I know what you "claim" and I don't necessarily "doubt" that it
is true. But I asked you for "*evidence*" that there are
"such persons called `plasticians'". Your argument that "All
plasticians believe plasticity is a fact...", depends on there
really being people called "plasticians". If you don't post
any evidence (eg. a quote from a book or journal), that there
really are such persons called "platicians", then I will have
no alternative but to conclude that there are no such persons .

[...]

>>BH>Where ever I have seen the "fact of evolution" discussed it is
>>>always contrasted with theories of evolution which are not
>>>facts. There are facts and there are theories that attempt
>>>to explain those facts. We find this distinction in all of
>>>science, not just evolution.

>>SJ>Darwinists claim that evolution is *both* a theory *and* "a fact":
>>
>>"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact...." (Gould S.J.,
>>"Evolution as Fact and Theory", in "Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes",
>>1983, p254)
>>
>>The problem is that Gould is using the same word "evolution", in the
>>one sentence, to mean two entirely different things: 1) history and
>>2) mechanism. Gould is arguing that if "Darwin's proposed mechanism"
>>fails, the history is still a fact and that another "mechanism...yet
>>to be discovered", was responsible. But the point is that if the
>>"mechanism...yet to be discovered" was supernatural intervention by
>>God, then it wasn't "evolution" but *creation*!

BH>Well, I also have some problems with this quote, perhaps not
>the same as yours :). If indeed he had used the same word to
>mean two different things I would say "of course, that's the
>point." He's trying to explain how the same word can be used
>to talk about the facts of a subject and the theory which
>attempts to explain those facts. This is common practice in
>science. Unfortunately, Gould uses the word three different
>ways 1) fact 2)theory 3) mechanism. I would be much happier
>if his last sentence read "And human beings evolved
>from apelike ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed
>theory or by some other, yet to be discovered theory."

IMHO Gould is *deliberately* using the word "evolution" to
mean two or three different things, in order to carry his
argument. I find it more difficult to believe that he is
just an incompetent wordsmith.

BH>IOW, Gould seems to be using theory and mechanism interchangeably,
>which, IMHO, is a boo boo. Mechanisms would be part of a theory,
>but not all theories have mechanisms. Interestingly, the two
>theories of gravity which Gould mentions do not have mechanisms.
>It is true that Darwin's theory is mechanistic, but there's no
>reason to suppose the yet to be discovered theory would be
>mechanistic.

Agreed. In fact "gravity" might turn out to be a very poor
example of the "fact" of evolution, because from my reading
it is still not understood what exactly it is.

BH>Anyone else have thoughts about this?

[...]

>>BH>It is true that evolution is used in many ways. One must always
>>>be careful to look at context to see what is meant by the
>>>word. The same is true for other oft used words like freedom,
>>>love etc.

>>SJ>But in *science* every effort is usually made to assign specific
>>meanings to words for utmost clarity. The fact that Darwinism
>>insists on using such an ambiguous word as "evolution" is a
>>sure sign that it is a pseudoscience.

BH>Clarity is maintained by the context. Words are only words,
>endeavor to find out what an author means by the words
>she uses. It's hard work, but there's really no way around it.

Disagree. Science in every other area carefully defines words
for different things and uses them consistently. Only a pseudo-
science would deliberately retain a word which causes lack of
clarity.

That the one word "evolution" is being made to cover too many
different things is the failure to find one satisfactory
definition for it.

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)