Re: Argument from authority? (was DIFFICULTIES OF DARWINISM 1.4-)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Wed, 18 Mar 98 05:42:34 +0800

Brian

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:32:29 -0500, Brian D Harper wrote:

[split here]

>SJ>For the umpteenth time-I am *not* using "the argument from
>>authority"!! I am arguing *against* Darwinist's "argument from
>>authority"!!!! Really Brian-how many times do I have to say it?

BH>Well, earlier in this thread you wrote:
>
>#SJ>I am completely unrepentant that this part of the series is an
>#argument from authority. Darwinists use the argument from authority
>#routinely-their works are full of claims that "all reputable biologists
>#accept evolution", etc. As Johnson points out, appeal to authority
>#is particularly unavoidable in the case of Darwinism:
>
>So hopefully you can understand that I'm confused by your position.
>But, the important thing is that you've repented, so we can
>drop this.

No. We can't "drop" this after you have dredged up this earlier post
and ignored my clarifications in intervening ones! Here are the *full*
facts:

1. I wrote the above on *4 February* (a *month and a half* ago)
"that this part of the [difficulties of Darwinism] series is an
argument from authority":

I am completely unrepentant that this part of the series is an
argument from authority. Darwinists use the argument from authority
routinely-their works are full of claims that "all reputable biologists
accept evolution", etc. As Johnson points out, appeal to authority
is particularly unavoidable in the case of Darwinism:

2. But then on 14 February (over a *month* ago) I clarified my
position stating that it was "a counter-argument to the usual
Darwinist "argument from authority":