Re: I said what? (was "Astronomy" and "Earth" magazine's special origins issues)

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Sun, 08 Mar 98 17:19:13 +0800

Loren

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 08:48:44 -0500 (EST), Loren Haarsma wrote:

LH>A general request to everyone: If you're going to summarize
>someone else's viewpoint AND attribute their name to it, be very
>careful in your choice of words.

I am surprised to hear from you Loren! Last time we corresponded
you said that you were not going to read my posts!

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:45:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Loren Haarsma <lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Irredeemably tainted words.
To: evolution <evolution@ursa.calvin.edu>

[...]

A year ago I stopped reading your posts all together unless they were
directed at me (and sometimes even then) or introduced a new topic
such as your "mediate creation" post.

So in case you are reading this, please note that I am *always*
"careful" in my "choice of words" and I stand by them. I may be
*wrong* in my understanding of what you said, but I am not
consciously misrepresenting you (as you state below).

It seem to be standard practice of evolutionist (both theistic and
non-theistic), to assume that creationists are morally wrong (ie.
misrepresent) than merely intellectually wrong (ie. mistake). This
is so pervasive among evolutionists, that I have no alternative but
to conclude that it reflects the advserse influence of evolutionary
thinking.

But you want to resume our debate on this point to clarify it,
that's OK by me.

LH>Steve wrote:
>
>SJ>"The pattern of structure in the universe today reflects the
>>pattern of initial seeds. In some sense, the fact that there are
>>things in the universe today is because there were primordial seeds
>>in the universe 30,000 years after the Bang. Seeds have to be
>>inserted by hand into the computer simulations of the formation of
>>structure." (Kolb R., "Planting Primordial Seeds", Astronomy,
>>February 1998, Vol. 26, No. 2, p43)
>>
>>I found this interesting in view of my debates with Theistic
>>Evolutionists in this forum, where an argument they use against the
>>likelihood of God intervening in biological history (as they
>>acknowledge he has done in human history), is that He did not need
>>to intervene in cosmological history, at least not after the Big
>>Bang. I was assured by Loren Haarsma, for example, that there are
>>computer models which demonstrate cosmological evolution as a fully
>>naturalistic process, therefore there was no reason to doubt that
>>the origin and/or development of life on Earth was not also a fully
>>naturalistic process. But now it seems that these computer models
>>all require some form of intervention by a human intelligent
>>designer!

LH>Since you generally prefer to quote people at length rather than
>summarize their views, I wonder if -- in the future -- you'd do the
>same for my views. ;-) Three parts of that sentence with my name
>sound like mild misrepresentations to me.

See above about "misrepresentations". You automatically assume a *moral*
fault (ie. "misrepresentations") on my part, rather than merely an
intellectual fault (ie. mistake).

In fact, as it turns out, you do not even make your case that I
was wrong about what you said, let alone that I misrepresented you.

SJ>{1} "... there are computer models which demonstrate cosmological
>evolution as a fully naturalistic process..."

LH>No, what I typically say is that we have good empirical reasons to
>believe that God probably used providential oversight over the regular
>and continuous operation of natural mechanisms to form the sun, moon,
>stars, and the earth's ocean, atmosphere, and dry land.

You say (or at least imply) more than that. For example, a few months