Re: Quotes and misquotes

Stephen Jones (sejones@ibm.net)
Thu, 05 Mar 98 06:42:57 +0800

Wesley

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 01:07:01 -0600 (CST), Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:

>WE>Laurie gets messages explaining how his quotes are misquotes of one
>>form or the other. Laurie claims that anyone who challenges the quote
>>either is challenging the quoted authority or is too stupid to
>>understand what they are doing.

>SJ>It is interesting that the standard response of evolutionists on CVSE
>>to Laurie's quotes was that they were "misquotes", "out-of-context",
>>"selective", etc, etc. It was like a mantra! It seemed to me to
>>stretch credulity a bit to think that *all* Laurie's quotes were
>>"misquotes". So I checked up on most of them in the original books
>>and articles and found they were mostly in context and accurate. So
>>I challenged evolutionists to make good their claim, but to my
>>recollection, they didn't even try. No wonder Laurie keeps at it!
>>If evolutionists actually took his quotes seriously and answered them
>>thoroughly, patiently and courteously, he would have less and less to
>>debate about. I know this for a fact, because Laurie tried posting
>>quotes for a young-Earth and global Flood to me, and I answered him
>>properly. If he repeated the same quote I said something like "refer
>>to my post of...". He eventually gave up.

[...]

WE>Let me illustrate two quotes in one paragraph of Laurie's that
>did not withstand scrutiny.

Read what I said again Wesley. I do not deny that *some* of Laurie's
quotes on the Fidonet echo CVSE (which you were not a member of
while I was there) may have been out-of-context, but not all of them were.
I checked up on many of them and they were OK.

I am sure this must be a bit boring for other Reflectorites. Laurie
is no even a member of this List and most Reflectorites wouldn't
know him. So if you don't mind I would rather discontinue this
rather fruitless thread. Thanks.

Stephen E (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ sejones@ibm.net
3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Steve.Jones@health.wa.gov.au
Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ Phone +61 8 9448 7439
Perth, West Australia v "Test everything." (1Thess 5:21)