Re: Do you believe the Bible is inerrant? (was Flood and miracles)

Lloyd Eby (leby@nova.umuc.edu)
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:43:15 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Stephen Jones wrote:

(snip)

> for most of my 30+ years as a Christian I have
> been a member (and held leadership positions at) Baptist churches that
> would qualify as fundamentalist. Certainly their constitutions all had clauses
> about the Bible being "inspired", "infallible" and "inerrant".

Yes, but did they take those to be synonyms? They are not, you know.
"Inspired" does not imply "infallible" or "inerrant."

I believe, for example, that Mother Teresa was inspired, at least
sometimes. I do not believe that she was infallible, even during periods
of inspiration. I do not believe that she was ever inerrant, at least in
any hard or unqualified sense, except perhaps when she was doing
mathematical or logical proofs, and got them right.

I think that this example is germane to the discussion of how, if at all,
these notions are accurately applied to the Bible.

Lloyd Eby